45 Things to Do in Indianapolis
Lukas and I have spent a lot of time in Indianapolis, as my parents have a condo downtown, and we visit Indiana often to see family. Most of the things listed below we have been able to do ourselves, with some still on the bucket list. Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure it'll be so fun!
1. Indianapolis City Market - food hall operating since 1866, with various vendors, a farmer’s market & a craft beer bar.
2. Soldiers & Sailors Monument - memorial with an observation deck that houses a Civil War museum & gift shop.
3. Indiana Statehouse - Guided tours of Indiana's neoclassical capitol, home to state government since 1888.
4. Crown Hill Cemetery - John Dillinger, James Whitcomb Riley, Eli Lilly & Benjamin Harrison buried here.
5. Tinker Coffee - local coffee & roastery you can visit
6. Indiana War Memorial & Museum - free war museum & shrine to fallen WWI soldiers
7. Masonic Library and Museum of Indiana - Tours Tues-Thurs
8. Eiteljorg Museum - museum exploring the art & culture of the American West
9. Indiana State Museum - museum about Indiana's history, plus an IMAX
10. Kurt Vonnegut Museum & Library - Museum of the works and life of Kurt Vonnegut
11. James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home & Visitor Center - This historic Italianate-style house, once home to a famous children's poet, offers guided tours.
12. Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site - Exhibits & tours on the grounds of the 23rd U.S. president's home, plus lectures, galas & more.
13. Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum - Set within the famed racetrack, this museum showcases classic race cars & motorsports memorabilia.
14. Indiana Medical History Museum - Guided tours & artifacts recount 19th-century medical history inside an 1890s pathology facility.
15. Indianapolis Fire Fighters Museum - museum about local firefighters
16. Easley Winery - winery tour & tastings
17. Sun King Brewery - Craft brewer offering tours, beer samples in a tasting room & sales of kegs, growlers & cans.
18. Ash & Elm Cider Co. Restaurant and Cider Bar - House-brewed cider & light eats in a historic building with high ceilings & rustic charm.
19. Amberson Coffee Shop - sustainable coffee shop & groceries
20. The Garage Food Hall: (below) Food hall with shops
21. Lick Ice Cream - ice cream with vegan options
22. Hard Truth Bar - a bar including drinks from local Indiana distillery
23. Becker Supply Company - Indiana local goods
24. Bodhi Thai - vegan options, always busy
25. Living Room Theaters - movie theater with recliners
26. Homespun: Modern Handmade - local gifts & goods
27. Fountain Square: (below) area with restaurants & shopping
28. Tuggles Gifts & Goods - local gifts & good
29. Three Carrots - Airy spot for vegan & vegetarian takes on American & Midwestern eats, plus cocktails & craft beer.
30. Bovaconti Coffee - coffee shop
31. Square Cat Vinyl - record shop and coffee
32. Zodiac Vintage - vintage shop
33. Wildwood Market - groceries & local goods
34. Rooftop Fruit - ecletic store
35. Indy Reads - bookstore
36. Atomic Bowl Duckpin - 1930s bowling alley
Vegan Restaurants (or with vegan options):
37. Three Carrots - Airy spot for vegan & vegetarian takes on American & Midwestern eats, plus cocktails & craft beer.
38. Futuro - deep dish pizza, with vegan options.
39. Bazbeaux - Creative thin- or thick-crust pies in a casual location with a patio, plus beer & wine.
40. King Dough - pizza spot with vegan options
41. 10th Street Diner - Vegan venue with exposed-brick & a chic warehouse vibe, serving fried pickles, chili fries & salads.
42. Condado Tacos - Mexican food you can customize
43. Axum Ethiopian - A menu of traditional Ethiopian dishes served over injera in a dining room with African wall art.
44. Bru Burger - burger spot with vegan impossible burgers
45. Twenty-Two Juice Bar - smoothies & acai bowls inside City Market
For more Travel recommendations - Follow me on Instagram @lzrtravels
If you enjoyed this list, you can also watch my Indianapolis Playlist on YouTube here: